Sunday, April 17, 2011

Oooh the regret

Today seems like a good day for an alcohol-themed post. 
Image by 'Clock' from Wikipedia
Clock and wikipedia don't necessarily endorse my work, although I endorse theirs :)

Why? Three words: Jo’s Hens Night. Last night, for the first time in at least two years (maybe longer, I honestly can’t remember) I went out to some trendy* nightspots† with a bunch of fabulous gals, all friends of the most fabulous Johanna who is getting married next Saturday. Much fun was had by all, particularly at the life drawing class.

A JG original. Completely self-taught!

Much drinking was had by all, particularly at...everywhere we went. I’m still recovering. So this post will be light on the research and possibly on the coherence. But I remembered that someone (Sharon**) asked me to do a post on alcohol in the off the grid world, and now seems as good a time as any to address it. If I’m not eating sugar, can I drink alcohol (fermented sugar)? The answer, clearly, yes. Why? Well, thanks to Wikipedia, here is a sugar molecule- fructose is on the right, and glucose is on the left:
Sugar as a scientist sees it

And thanks to me (copying what I found on Wikipedia but making it prettier), here is ethanol.
Alcohol minus the bottle

Notice the ever so slight difference. Basically fermentation changes the sugar. So alcohol both is and isn’t sugar. And mostly, isn’t. As long as the alcohol isn’t mixed with something sweet, it’s pretty much ok for a fructose-free-person like myself to drink. For example, a typical dry white wine has 0.3g of fructose per 100g and red wine even less. Apple cider, which is made of fermented apple juice,  has about 0.5g per 100g. Beer (which I don’t personally drink- blurg) is made from malt, and the sugar in beer is maltose and glucose, so beer is completely fine if I could bring myself to drink it. Shots of vodka are fine from a fructose perspective (from a morning after perspective, they are not fine). If you ever want to check out a particular type of drink, here's a great site which breaks down the specific sugars so you know what your body is facing.

One of the things I have learned about sugar (and part of my decision to quit eating it) is that the fructose part of the sugar is processed by the liver. The liver turns it into triglycerides (fats) which are sent into the bloodstream and do all kinds of harm. Alcohol is similar to fructose the sense that the liver also has to deal with it. But, the liver uses a specific enzyme to deal with the alcohol and turns it into carbon dioxide and water. In moderation, the body can deal with alcohol pretty well, and there is some evidence that there are health benefits to drinking alcohol such as an increase in HDL (good cholesterol) and an effect similar to aspirin in preventing the little platelets in your blood (teeny little cell parts in your blood which should, by rights, be shaped like little plates, but which are not) from sticking together or clotting, which can mean less risk of heart attack or stroke. (These benefits are mainly for older people.) And obviously the sugar question is a just side issue when thinking about the negative consequences of drinking in whatever the opposite of moderation is (ie, last night). Today's hangover is the obvious minus. And then there's the raft of health complications which can come from long-term drinking in large quantities... 

So, on that bright and cheery note, and with half a mind to personally never drinking again anyway after last night, that’s my summary of drinking fructose-free. If you want to stay away from sugar, alcohol is fine, just don’t drink sweet wines (e.g., dessert wines), spirits with sweet mixers or (unfortunately) cocktails (unless they are made with entirely non sweet ingredients- and if you find such a cocktail, please let me know!). 

*I assume they were trendy. What would I know? Do people even say trendy anymore?
†Maybe they were clubs? Or pubs? Does 'nightspot' cover it or is that something only old people say?
**Possibly a pseudonym

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm. Where to comment. This post seems as good as any since I was very curious about your fructose-free life and had thought to try it myself, but I didn't feel like giving up my beer or wine would be worth the effort. I haven't read your whole blog yet, but I've touched on some of the highlights. Very intriguing stuff, especially since I have about 15-20 extra lbs. that just won't go away. Incidentally, I excercise regularly and eat a pretty healthy diet (not completely). I try hard to cook from scratch and eat plenty of fruits and veggies. However, I'm an ice cream addict. Not only that, but I feel I must admit, with a great deal of shame, that I have been savoring every bite of a Twix while browsing your blog. GASP!!! Is there fructose in honey? Do you have a post on this yet? My daughter has allergies and local honey has really helped.

    Janice
    P.S. Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice,
    love your blog. I've been inspired to THINK about letting my baby son (15 months) help in the kitchen, although I'm yet to get to the practicalities. I guess I've still got time for that, though.
    RE honey- I haven't done a post yet but I was thinking of doing one on alternative sweeteners including honey, so stay tuned. The short answer is that it is full of fructose (up to about 70% depending on the type) and I personally avoid it. BUT there is definitely some wiggle room (in my opinion). Some research shows that the fructose in honey seems to raise triglycerides in the blood less than the fructose in sugar. For whatever reason, the body copes with it better. There's also the natural 'full stop' that comes with honey- try eating a tablespoon of it, and you'll see what I mean, you just can't overdose on it. Compared to sugar, which is easy to overdose on in any form :)
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete