Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Fat versus fiction

I hope my research-y posts aren’t boring anyone that reads this. I’m finding it really fascinating to look into some of these things for myself- I think it’s the first time I’ve thought about nutrition in detail, even though I’ve thought about food, a lot. Feel free to post comments if you have any. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

I posted last about sugar and weight gain, but I can’t ignore the fat we eat when thinking about weight. I have always thought fat had more to do with weight problems than sugar. So, I use low fat milk, eat low fat cheese, ignore the crispy skin on my roast chicken and the delicious crackling on my roast pork. I limit gravy, fatty sauces, and fried foods. I choose the low fat tomato-y pasta sauce when we eat out, instead of the creamy sauce- I don’t think I’ve ever ordered the carbonara. I usually avoid things like potato chips for snacks, choosing lollies instead. Of course I sometimes eat high fat things (delicious camembert cheese springs to mind), but not without feeling guilty. But despite living this low fat lifestyle (with a few slip ups), I’m overweight. Boo. What to do about it? (Ignoring the obvious exercise question for the moment). Should I reduce the fat in my diet even more?

Doctors, nutritionists and the government have told us for many years that fat maketh the man (and woman) fat. We have been encouraged to keep our fat intake low, and as a result of this have increased our carbohydrate intake. After all, we need to get energy from somewhere, so we should ‘eat more breads and cereals’ as Norm learned in the Life Be In It ads of the 1980s (which you can revisit here if you like, thank you YouTube!) In case you think things have changed, here is Nutrition Australia’s current healthy food pyramid. Fats are in the top teeny part, and we are supposed to use even ‘low fat’ spreads sparingly. Although sugars share the top tiny portion (ie, we are supposed to keep our intake low), a study in 1994 showed that Australians who had the lowest fat diets had the highest intake of refined and natural sugars, not to mention alcohol. Oops. This won't surprise any of you who have already realised that most (if not all) foods manufactured to be ‘low fat’ have more sugar than their full-fat brothers. The sugar is added to make us think they taste nice, isn’t that great? As sugar has about half the calories per gram than fat, they can take out say 1 gram of fat and replace it with up to 2 grams of sugar without affecting the calorie content. So, a low fat meal is often a high sugar meal. Sneaky bastards.

As a former fat-a-phobe (phobic of fatty food, that is) I’ve come to realise that unlike sugar, fat is not an ‘empty’ source of calories. Fat is necessary for the body because:
It provides essential fatty acids
It helps us to absorb vitamins such as A, E and K which are fat-soluble
Our nerve fibres are insulated by fat, and fat helps to transmit nerve messages
Our cells all include some fat, which helps to transport nutrients from cell to cell
It helps our bodies to recognise when we have had enough to eat.

This isn’t all that fat does either. Fat is essential. Given the list above, a low fat diet starts to look a bit, well, stupid. Or, if that’s too harsh, then at least short-sighted, since we decrease one of the things that helps us to feel full and stop eating. On the other hand, there is evidence (for example, this study) showing that the fructose in sugar actually decreases our body’s ability to recognise when we are full by interfering with a hormone called leptin. So, fat says stop, but sugar says 'more'. I’ll look into that one in more detail later.

What about ‘bad’ fats- ie, saturated fats- surely I should at least be avoiding those? The Australian Heart Foundation suggest on their website that Australian’s decrease their intake of saturated fats because they lead to an increased risk of heart attacks and stroke. This has been the mantra of nutrition experts since about the 1960s, but is directly contradicted by a review published in the world’s top nutrition journal in January of last year which showed  that “there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD [coronary heart disease, which can lead to heart attacks] or CVD [cardiovascular disease which can lead to strokes]”. This finding came from a meta analysis of research, which is a combination of the studies in an area so that instead of say 10 smallish studies with say 10 participants each you combine the data to get the results for all 100 participants. This meta analysis included 21 studies spanning 29 years and had 347,747 participants. One of the co-authors,when interviewed by the Boston Globe put it this way: 'There is no evidence that cheese causes heart disease'. Hurrah!

So, I have started to make my peace with fat. It's been trying to do me some good, and I've been willfully misunderstanding it and trying to avoid it all this time. I’m having full-fat milk again, I think for the first time in my adult life, and I am loving it. It’s delicious! (Just as an aside, back in the day I remember this being called full cream milk- is it just me, or have we started to give it a much more negative sounding name- full fat??). I’ve completely stopped looking at the fat content of food before eating it. I feel like a rebel just saying that.

David Gillespie’s experience and that of others who have quit sugar using Sweet Poison has been that they get full easier and they stay full longer. They report that they feel the ‘fullness’ in a much more potent way than before. This might be something to do with letting fat do it’s job of letting us know when we’ve had enough, unhampered by sugar sneakily turning off the ‘I’m full’ button and triggering the ‘more please’ switch.

Well, I’m not there yet, so I’m off to eat some cheese, but it will definitely be minus the guilt :)

3 comments:

  1. Jemma I have been managing my weight on and off (off in recent years!) with this sort of approach for probably 10 years. I have had polycystic ovaries and metabolic syndrome and then got gestational diabetes with pregnancy and guess what? cutting out sugar, managing carbohydrates worked! It managed my blood sugars too. In total I am 11kg down on my pre pregnancy weight having lost a lot of weight during the last trimester of pregnancy due to diet and exercise. 5kg of the 11 was in the last 6 weeks! I follow Body trim mostly which is basically the same as what you are talking about! I haven't stopped losing weight with full fat products. I have however not been able to lose weight with low fat, high sugar products!! Body trim says 90% of weight loss equation is food then 10% exercise so the system is walk 10,000 steps a day and watch your food and it works. I sometimes find the exercise hard but am getting there! Be great to see how you go!! I still have a huge way to go to get back to where I was. I fell off the wagon when I fell in love with a skinny man who likes cake with his coffee and most of our dates involved coffee and the rest is history! I notice even with this approach it is still a lot harder now than when I was younger :o( Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really fantastic, Jo! I've always wondered about the Body Trim approach (have seen the ads). I am looking into the exercise part of the equation myself for the blog, and I'm interested that you say that Body Trim say that weight loss needs to focus more on food than on exercise. This seems to be what I'm reading elsewhere as well. It's always great when what you are doing is backed up by research- but even better when it actually works for you. And hurray for full fat food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally know that "I've eaten fat and now I'm really full" feeling - in fact, I currently eat such a big, fatty, proteiny breakfast (4-5 eggs and some bacon and possibly a sausage - and I'm about 60kg) that I don't usually need to eat anything till dinner - except for a couple of coffees with cream in them! (The big breakfast idea comes from 'resetting your leptin levels' from http://jackkruse.com/my-leptin-prescription/)

    ReplyDelete